Saturday, August 2, 2014

Home again?

Hello All,
We are back stateside!  We had a few adventures and mishaps along the way, but we arrived back safely and with most of our "stuff" intact.  Since we've been home, we have suffered from jet lag, had a family reunion (weekend long), shopped till we replaced some of our clothes that were "holy," flown to Arizona, visited the Grand Canyon and suffered from another bought of jet lag!  Arizona is another 3 hours further than Michigan and, after just 5 days trying to recuperate (up at 3:30 in the morning!), we had to do it again.  We go back to Michigan on Monday so hopefully, going the other way will set us up right for the eastern time zone!  Here are some of the good-byes being said:


Us with the engineering team in Kijabe

 Jim and John and I being honored with a celebration

Timothy saying good-bye to LP

Many of my Kijabe and missionary friends will understand this, but I feel a certain amount of loss and sadness and disappointment when living here.  The loss and sadness come from the separation from friends and our life in Kijabe.  The disappointment comes from looking at life around me and seeing the abundance and the lack of understanding about the abundance.  It is hard to explain.  I constantly see in my mind's eye the people that I know in and around Kijabe that need school fees, shoes, shelter, clean water.  I think about what my Kenyan friends would think about life here if they just saw the roads and the houses as you drive!  And the mountains of stores where you can buy anything at all!  They surely would think that life is golden here, but we know it is not.  There is just as much (and maybe more) darkness, as people are separated from God.  When you are in need, you tend to turn to God for daily help.  When we have so much and don't "need" we think we can do it on our own.  I get stuck in this trap constantly.  It is so great to be able to go to Him with all of our failings!

Rom 5:17
17 For if, by the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God's abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ. 

NIV

I was standing at a large grocery store the other day in front of the bananas and a wave of emotion came over me and I started crying.  I realized that these were not Kampala bananas!  I told my sister in law about this "break-down" and she said, "what was wrong with the bananas?"  It was very funny.  I am sure some people at that store thought there was something seriously wrong with the bananas after seeing me stand there crying in front of them!

My mother lives in Arizona and we have flown here on all of those sky miles to visit for a week.  It was such a breeze flying with just one small bag per person and just one flight at only 3 1/2 hours!  It was like getting in a car and ending up at your destination with no hassle!  Here are a few pictures:
 The grand canyon




The grand canyon is an amazing sight!  It surely reminds us of God's power!

We will travel back to Michigan this week and actually drive up to our house.  It will feel surreal I am sure getting settled back in for a time.  If you are close by and would like to help us move some furniture for a few hours, we will be gathering from 1-3ish on the 7th. 

Not sure that this will feel like home as we have moved about 21 times in the past 28 years!  But, as we put it on band tour a year ago - "We are not home yet" and will not be until we meet our Lord.  No matter where we are here on this earth, we are foreigners, living a life for His sake!

Not sure how much more blogging I will do as people don't want to hear about life in a small town in Michigan!  But, I am sure I will write occasionally as I enjoy it.  Sitting down on Saturdays with a cup of chai and writing about our week has been one of the things that has grounded me and kept me thinking. 

Please pray for us as we travel, get settled, get Timothy and Sallie to camp and get Trevor ready for college.

In His Hands,
Jullie T


Woodpecker in Arizona

1 comment:

  1. I knew you would struggle with this. I was that way after ten days in Kenya. It's why Rhoda and I settle for less. We are rich in Christ! You don't need much. Glad your back and can't wait to see you guys! David

    ReplyDelete