Saturday, September 10, 2011

Missionary on Mission Trip

Hello All,

Yesterday, Jim left for a place near Isiolo.  He went with a group from the Hospital on a medical and food relief mission.  They left yesterday (Friday) and will be back on Monday.  We think it is kind of funny, "a missionary going on a mission trip!"  It is kind of like being in a subset of a missionary!
A few weeks back, a local Pastor had us over to his house.  We met another friend of his named Abdi.  Abdi is from the Burkana tribe near Isiolo.  He is now a Christian because he saw the love coming from the Christian people (and the opposite from near him) and wanted to know why.  Once he understood the gift of grace, he wanted to be a part of that.  Anyway, his people need help (medical and food relief) so a group from the hospital went.  They were traveling in 3 vehicles and had (I think) 20 people with them.  They wanted Jim to go because he had a car.  At least they love him for something!  I am sure he will be more than helpful.  I did not go because I did not feel comfortable leaving the kids with someone and they had a lot going on this week end.  I have a map of Kenya below to show you where he is.  I wanted to mark where we are and where Isiolo is, but I could not figure out how to do that.  (Jim is not here to show me!)


You can see Isiolo about right in the lower center.  It is just above Mt Kenya. We are in Kijabe, which is between Nairobi and Naivasha (Naivasha is north west of Nairobi).  I went to mapquest to try and get directions to Isiolo so that I could show you the route, but it says you can't get there from here, which is why it took them all day yesterday to drive there!  He called last night and they had arrived safely.  I will have pictures and details to tell you about next week.

Someone told me something this week that has stuck with me.  I have been pre-buying milk from a local lady.  I pay for it up front and Rose brings it every day for about a month.  It is really good and I pasteurize it in a pasteurizer that I purchased.  But what Rose told me was that the lady was so appreciative. She was able to buy school shoes for her children that she was not expecting to have the money for.  I did not understand why at first.  But then I realized it is the African way.  When they are given money (for selling just 2-4 liter of milk) they will spend it on current needs.  It is very difficult here to keep anything in your pocket.  Jim and I read a book that we have mentioned before called African Friends and Money Matters. It described the culture as one that lives in the moment.  But, this living is not frivolous.  It is life's necessities.  If you need to put food on the table and you have 150 shillings, you will buy rice or ugali or something to make a meal.  You can't think (or make the family not eat that day) to save that 150 to be able to buy a pair of shoes for 500 shillings (or more).  (Note: a shilling is a little more then 1 cent).  This is one way I really like to help the people here.  When I can purchase a staple for my house and bless someone else, that is a no brainer!

I wanted to let all the supporters of Yvonne to know that she is doing great!  This school was exactly what she needed.  She is learning to read Swahili and English.  She is also learning to speak English.  She just started the 3rd term of her kindergarten year.  They start the school year in January.  She will begin 1st grade then.  I registered her for the third term last week and the bill was 6500 shillings (about $70).  This will buy her education in this private school, her lunch and transportation for the whole term (3 months)!  I have enough money in the coffers to get her started into the 3rd grade - Thank you all for supporting her.  If you would like to donate, please let me know. 

We are planning on coming to Michigan on Dec 7th and staying for a few weeks through Christmas.  We would love to see as many people as we can, so please book us in early!

Thanks so much for all you do.

In His Hands,
Jullie T.


No comments:

Post a Comment