Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Manual on How to Take Care of Kids

Hello All,

I wanted to start this week's post by talking about the projects: Our CT Scanner has been delayed in South Africa.  Not sure, but it will take an additional 2 weeks at least.  This is actually a good thing for us as it gives us more time to get the building finished.  They have started the plastering and are working on the ceiling right now.  As of last Wed., they still had not installed the braces in the truss system and they removed the large brace that was providing the lateral stability!  Jim was worried when the wind kicked up and then found out that they removed this support.  So, even though he is trying not be too controlling, he brought it up to the big boss and he was going to see that the braces were installed.  It is hard for Jim to keep his hands out of it, but it is a good lesson in patience for him!
Our Bethany Kids Pediatric Wing is moving forward also.  We have had more meetings (on top of meetings!) to discuss the path.  Many things have to happen before ground breaking and we are trying our best to coordinate those items.  We are looking at ground breaking in June at the earliest at this point.  That date may slip also.  We are heading home for a visit on July 24th so we are feeling like time is marching too fast!  One of the things that has to be done is move the Quonset Hut.



These are some pictures of that building.  It looks like a mini air-plane hanger.  It needs to be moved because it is right in the footprint of our new building.  In the states, this would probably be a 1.5 - 2 month job.  Call in a contractor, get a bid, get the work started (with the right equipment) and get it erected in a new location.  Here, it is probably a 6-7 month project.  We are trying to get it done by June, but we will need prayers for that one!

I mentioned a while ago that the kids had a PJ day at school to celebrate Dr. Seuss's birthday.  Sallie had gotten a book from the library that was a cook book for all the food items in the Dr. Seuss books.  There are some crazy things in that book!  But, one that we were actually able to make was the Cat's Mac and Cheese from the Cat's Quizzer book.  Here is a picture of Sallie and Janelle with the concoction:


It was actually very good!  It didn't last but a few minutes!

Timothy said something very funny this week.   On Thursday, I had an errand to do up at the school, so I told the kids I would drive them up.  They love this because they think we torture them every day by making them walk up the hill to school!  When it came to Friday morning, the last day of school for the term, they wanted me to drive them up because it was a special day (any excuse to get me to drive them is a valid one).  I told them since I had driven them the day before, that they could walk.  So, Timothy  proceeds to plead his case.  He said that the Thursday driving was not real because I had another errand to do.  So apparently, when the parent has another motive for doing something nice for the kid(s), that nice thing does not count!  Did you all know this!  I certainly didn't.  I think that needs to be emphasised in the manual on how to take care of kids!   (I won anyway, since I am Mom, and did not drive them)!

Most of you know that Jim and I have been helping a local orphanage build a kitchen.  They are moving along quite well on the project and they should be done (mostly) by the 19th of April.  They are having a King's Feast on that date and we are invited.  Their web site is www.intoabbasarms.org  They recently emailed us with a need.  They are looking for a couple or a man to come and to be mentors and to provide a father figure for the kids.  Here is what Jane (the founder and CEO) wrote:

Jim and Julie:  We are looking for a Godly couple or single retired man to volunteer at IAA for 3 - 6 mths a year.  Possibly several couples or men that could rotate.  I know the children need a good Fatherly example and someone to build relationships with them long term.  I thought I would just put that out there in case you come across some missionaries or anyone that might be interested.

 
I thought I would post this here to see if there is any interest.  This is a big one for sure!  But, in reality, when someone commits to something like this and they start with the notion of "How can I serve," once the process has started, it becomes more like, "Wow, God is blessing me more!"  Just pass this information along to anyone you know that might be interested.
Here are some pictures of that project as it has progressed over the last 8 months
Foundation of the 38'X50' kitchen and dining hall.

Walls going up.
Installing roof trusses.


Facility with roof almost complete

Dining Room Area

Having a vehicle here sure is a blessing, and not just to us.  We have many Kenyan friends that do not have cars.  Most Kenyans do not have a car.  Can you imagine having a car when you only make $4-5 a day?  So, when our good friend Njoki asked us to help her pick up a goat, how could I refuse?  Walking a goat down the hill for 2 km would not be a task that I would want!  We tried to explain to the goat that he was going to go be "with the ladies," but I don't think he understood, especially as he was being tied and put into a bag!  He is "Happy Goat" now though I am sure.



Above is a picture of Issac, Mr. Goat owner's son.  He got a ride in the Mzungu (white person) car and will probably talk about that for weeks!  But, this was the best smile I could get out of him.  The Kenyans learn at an early age to be subdued!

Last week I posted about 1 John 4: 7-8, talking about how God is love.  On Sunday after my post, the pastor talked about 1 John 4: 7-16 and gave me some more insight.  Verses 7-8 talks about God the Father, 9-10 talks about God the Son and 11-12 talks about God the Spirit.  Verses 9-10 use the past tense.  It has already happened.  "He sent his one and only Son.....This is love:  Not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son...."  And in verses 11-12 he talks about the Holy Spirit.  It has been difficult for me to understand the Trinity, but I am getting there.  Verse 12: "No one has ever seen God, but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us."  This is the love that is like hot and cold.  If we allow it to enter, his loves fills us and that allows us to show that to others.  God is not here in the flesh, but we are.  We can show his love to others unconditionally by seeing them as God's children.  Just thought I would mention that because I thought it was timely that the pastor continued with 1 John 4!

The kids are now out of school for a month.  What am I going to do with them?!  It started with a trip to the Masai Market for Trevor and a few friends, then Pizza and then a movie marathon.  I still have a few teenagers sleeping on couches as I write this at 10 am!  We are going to head to Nakuru National Park next week end sometime so that we can (hopefully) see some lions and rhinos among other cool things.

Please keep us in your prayers;  Especially for the Peds wing project.  We have the "go" to continue but that is tenuous at best.  The project needs funds, a board that can understand the issues and a team that will be sensitive to the cash flow dilemma facing us.  And, we need patience as we navigate through it all.

Here is a picture that I took that I am not sure that I have posted in the past.  If I have, sorry about the duplicate, but I thought it was cool:



Thank you so much,

In His Hands,
Jullie T.

1 comment:

  1. I am not positive the place you're getting your info, but good topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or working out more. Thanks for excellent information I used to be looking for this information for my mission.

    ReplyDelete