Sunday, May 22, 2011

22 May 2011, Doomsday, Wakeup Call or Opportunity

As I ponder the events of the last 24 hours, I take a pause and reflect on my belief in Jesus Christ, my LORD and savior.  Even here in Kijabe, Kenya, we are not totally isolated from world events, especially the “end of the world” events.   I stumbled upon this news Thursday evening (19 May) as I was surfing the internet.  I found it disturbing that somebody else has predicted doomsday (as most of the world would coin the phrase).  This being an evangelistic preacher who knows GOD’s word (or should know it) and has falsely predicted Jesus’ return in 1994.  I thought about this for a few minutes as people were heckling him in forums and other venues.  I was too!  Then I thought, this is exactly the reason, when I and Jullie were “devout atheists,” that we would look at Christianity and laugh.  It was crackpots like these that gave Jesus a bad name.

Fast forward to Saturday morning.  I went with a friend into Nairobi (the capitol) for groceries and a few other things.  I picked up a couple local newspapers and a USA today (sometimes you get desperate for news) and it was in not only the USA Today but also the local Kenyan papers.  I had not realized how much the world had gotten caught up (sorry about the rapture pun) in this.  So, once again, I am pondering:  What do I believe in and if Jesus is truly coming back at 6pm (PST) am I ready?  I am ashamed to say that I didn’t do much.  I thought about my family, not only my immediate family, but those of my family and friends who do not believe in Jesus.  I didn’t really believe that Jesus was coming back for the rapture tonight (which would have been about 4am here).  Jesus specifically said in Matt 24:36-40, "But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only.  But as the days of Noah were, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be.  For as in the days before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, and did not know until the flood came and took them all away, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be.”

So now, it is Sunday afternoon, doomsday has not come (at least yesterday) and now I am thinking even more about my actions or lack thereof.  This actually could have been a great evangelistic tool and hopefully those who do not believe in Jesus may have thought a little more about it.  I only hope that they do not get more turned off of Christianity. What is the hope that we as Christians have?  How do we know that we will be going to heaven?  We don’t deny the fact that Jesus will return.  We don’t deny the fact that there will be a great tribulation “such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be.” By the way, most Christians, of whom we are included, consider this tribulation time as GOD’s wake up call to the rest of the world: a final opportunity for people to make a stand for or against Him.  We just know that we can’t predict when that time will happen.  We must always be ready for the return of the Son of GOD.  That is why we try to live like Christians; knowing that our LORD could return at anytime and require an account of us.

This is why when talking about this subject of “doomsday” we can use it as an opportunity to ask the question, will you go to heaven or hell and what do you base your answer on?  Is it because of your works, because you are a good person, or because of this, that, or the other thing?  Or, is it because you put your trust in the Son of the Living GOD and asked for his forgiveness because he promised everlasting life to those who believe?

John 3:16 “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.”

Hopefully this man’s prediction of the end of the world for May 21, 2011 can be turned to GOD’s glory with this event opening the door and us taking the opportunity to tell someone the truth of GOD and the love he has for us.

To GOD be the glory
Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment