Saturday, May 28, 2011

Keeping our Mouths shut!

Hello All,
As I was pondering what to write about today, I remembered a conversation that I had last week with Rose (our Kenyan househelp).  Jim went to her house last Saturday to help add some electrical lights and lines. They have only had power in the town for a year or so and she is upgrading.  I went up later in the day to get him.  Rose had some chai (Kenyan tea) set up that we shared.  We were introduced to another lady that was sitting near the door the whole time.  We said "Habari," the normal greeting that means "what's the news" and she didn't say too much.  The next day, Rose told me that this was a neighbor friend of hers that was too intimidated by us to say anything!  I guess when most Kenyans see a Mzungu (white person) they automatically expect that their voice will not be worth anything because the Mzungu "Knows it all."  The education system here is getting better, but has not been that great, so they associate "white" with "schooled and smart."  This reminded me that I have to be very careful about voicing my opinions and letting others voice theirs.  When we are in meetings, Jim and I are very quick to enter the discussion and say what we think.  Their "pause time" between comments is usually much longer!  But, if you wait a while, someone will say something (usually in a very soft voice).  This is a difficult thing for us to do, but we are learning!  As I look at people, I tell myself "That is one of God's children."  I don't want to see "black and white" even if they see me as "white."  When we were in Mombasa, I had a conversation with a man and told him that I wished I had dark skin too.  That way the sun wouldn't turn me red like it does!  He was shocked.  But, I see their point.  The whites came in here with modern ways and ideas and really rocked their world.  I guess all I can do is to be humble, listen to the Lord and listen to the people!

This past week I had an awesome experience.  I went over to the Kijabe Girls School (High School) to talk to the girls about what it means to be an engineer.  I was expecting a group of maybe 100 girls.  They had told me that they would announce a special speaker in the afternoon and that anyone interested could come.  There were over 500 girls waiting in this large auditorium for me to speak!  I walked in and saw all those large eyes looking at me and had to get up in front and speak to them.  After getting started the nerves subsided and it went well.  I was wearing a skirt and blouse (as I do mostly when I work here) and I asked them if I looked like an engineer.  They of course said "no" and I think I was able to get them the idea that:
1.  It is not rocket science (or actually can be!)  I tried to make the point that most of the equations and data you need to solve problems are already out there.  They just need to apply them to their situation.
2.  They need to not worry about what their friends might say to a woman engineer.  There is a lot of cultural bias here against women.
3.  If they can plan, like solving problems, and can see a problem through to the end, then they might make a good engineer.
I got them to think through a few issues that we have been dealing with here.  We worked on a simple ramp and slope problem and also a problem involving the water system.  Some of them slept, but other were very engaged!  Afterwards, some of the girls asked me some questions in private.  There was a girl that asked me what my teen age years were like.  This was one I had not anticipated.  I could tell by her face that she was having a very hard time.  Her name is Irene and she needs your prayers.  I am not sure why God tugged at my heart and made me open my mouth and say that I would go do that lecture.  In the hour or 2 before it, I was sure wishing that I hadn't spoken up!  But, I am glad that I did it and would love to go back if they need a mentor.  Please pray for all the girls there, that they would hear God's call for their lives and persue it.

The projects here are mostly moving along. The room above pathology (that will be the new pathology so the CT scanner can move into the lower space) is getting cleared out.  They are working on moving all the electical lines out of the way so that they can tear down the few walls that are there and we can see the trusses clearly.  After that, we need to tear down the roof and raise it to a second floor height.
The new children's wing is coming together as far as design is concerned.  The architect has some great ideas and we are zooming in on costs and plans.

I have to close now so that we can head up to another friend's place where we are helping to build her house.  The fundi's are here today to lay the foundation, and since Jim designed it, we need to be there.

Thanks for all that you do for us.  Please send a note when you can (snail mail or email).  Contact info is in the "contact page" at the top.

In His Hands,
Jullie T.

No comments:

Post a Comment