Sunday, May 1, 2011

Cutting Cabbage the Kenyan Way!

Hey All,
I had an interesting week end.  The hospital had a small medical mission group going up to Machani (a little town near here).  They needed volunteers.  I told them I wanted to go but would not do any medical care.  They were glad to hear that and welcomed me to come.  Soon after we got there, I found a place in the Kitchen!  Imagine that!  We had to make lunch for the missionaries and some of the locals (about 40 on Friday and 60 on Saturday).  We cooked in the outside cooking hut over open fires.  The ladies here sure have a system.  They have 3 large stones around a fire in order to set the pots on.  And these are large pots!  We made about 20 kg of rice in one pot!  We also made a large stew and fried some cabbage and onions.  I watched the ladies cutting the cabbage on Friday and was very impressed.  They don't have a fancy machine or Sam's club to go and buy it already cut.  They do it by hand and it is so small and fine.  So, on Saturday, I came with my sharp knife and told one lady (in swahili I am proud to say!) that I wanted her to teach me to cut cabbage like a Kenyan Woman.  It was not too hard, but time consuming.  We sat around for about 45 min to 1 hour and cut about 12 cabbages.  I managed to cut myself just a little, but otherwise it was OK.  The lady that was helping me told me several times at the beginning that my pieces were bigger then hers.  So, I tried to fix it.  She never did say they were OK, but she did say that I was trying (unajaribu).  I guess that was good.  Sorry I don't have any pictures.  I didn't want to take my camera as my hands were busy all day and there was no safe place to keep it.  I may get a picture someday.  I told Rebecca (the Mama that was helping me) that I make bread out of Zucchini.  She had never heard of this.  So, I want to make her a loaf and go find her.  Maybe next week I can report what she thought of it!

Kids are still doing well.  They are back in school this week and loving it.  Sallie and Trevor have a birthday coming up in a few weeks.  Can't believe Trevor will be 15 years old!  Sallie originally wanted this cake we saw in Nairobi.  I asked the lady how much it was and thought I heard 500 shillings (about $6), then she said, "No, 3500 shillings."  This is about $40!!  I told Sallie she was not getting that cake and we would figure out something else!  And, it was a simple rectangle with a picture and a few flowers!  Jaren, do you want to come here and start a business making cakes??


Love you all,
In His Hands,
Jullie T.

No comments:

Post a Comment